The team spent the final two days finishing the rendering and painting, and fitting the doors and CGI sheet partitions. The washbasin framework was installed and work started on the plumbing.
There are a few items still to be completed, such as slate floor tiles and the washbasins, which will be overseen by the SEEDS team in Ladakh.
Christine from the Ladakh Society for Traditional Medicines will be planting the flower bed in Spring 2012.
Many thanks to Rosie who assisted with painting on the penultimate day!
Work continued on the roof and parapet. The second metal flue was collected, painted and fixed.
The team started digging the foundation for the washbasin framework. This was collected from the fabricator this evening in preparation for installation tomorrow.
Work started on the internal rendering, using a chopped straw and mud mix.
Work started on the roof using poplar beams, willow sticks and mud.
The first flue was collected from the fabricator and installed.
The roof level timber bands were fitted today. Each of the glass bottles is being tied to the timber bands with metal wire. This will help to prevent them from slipping out in the event of an earthquake.
We collected the new doors, and ordered the washbasin framework and metal solar flues from fabricators in Leh.
The team have been making internal partitions using timber salvaged from the old door frames. They’ve also been making the plywood flues and the roof level timber bands.
The door frames were fitted today, and work continued on the mud brick walls.
We sourced glass bottles (for free) from local restaurants. The school caretaker and several of the school children helped us wash all 150 of them!
Work continued on the mud brick walls today.
Meanwhile we went to source materials for the flue. SEEDS architect Aakash helped source a metal fabricator for the solar flue.
After a day’s rest, work continued on site today.
Work started on stone walls for the ramp to the pit, and on the mud brick walls for the main toilet block.
The ground level flooring was completed on day 15, constructed from willow sticks and a 6″ layer of mud. Work has been continuing on the stone platform and steps, which are now ready to receive the slate finish.
Today the team completed the timber bands and started laying mud bricks.
We have been able to salvage the poplar beams from the previous building for reuse.
The team have been cutting willow sticks in preparation for the floor construction.